For more than 10 years we have successfullybeen involved in Active Directory migration projects. AD migrationsbelong to the core business of FirstAttribute.
Trust our experience – We know the typical pitfalls and and helpyou to accomplish a smooth and fail-free Active Directorymigration.
“Soft” Active DirectoryMigration
interruption for the users – that is what a soft migration means:
During the ActiveDirectory Migration theusers continue to work andaccess their resources at any time The only break shouldthe migration the userscomputer itself with an interruption time of a very few minutes Unnecessary downtime can beprevented and the productivity is not restricted. That is what asuccessful Active Directory migration means for us.
Sequence of a successful AD migration
- Analysis of the existing Active Directory domain(s)
- Execution of optimization in the existing environment,especially if they are necessary for the Active Directorymigration
- Hold workshops for the planning of the new Active Directoryenvironment
- Definition of the migration and the implementation of the toolsto be used
- Preparation of a rollout plan including a definition of a testand pilot migration
- Development of the target environment, in case it does not yetexist
- Development and implementation of the migration tool
- Execution of the test migration using test-systems
- Execution of the pilot migration using productive systems
- Analysis of the pilot-migration results
- Execution of necessary adaptions based upon the analysis of thepilot migration
- Execution of the rollout
- Removal of the migrationtool and, if necessary, of the sourceenvironment
Components to consider while performing an Active Directorymigration
- Infrastructure services like DNS, DHCP, WINS, timesynchronization
- Active Directory replication and trusts
- Group directives and login-scripts
- User and group- objects
- Computer objects
- Resources like file, print, main and application server
An important basis the success of yourActive Directory migration is to use thetools that fit best to your needs and to yourenvironment We know themarket tools through our long experience in thisfield. Active Directory migrations can be very unique and special. We help youto choose the tool that fits best. A choice might be Microsoft’s byQuest Dell).
migrationtools used by us ensure that as muchinformation as possible can betransferred from the existing Active Directory domainto the new domain This simplifies and speeds upthe Active Directory Migration considerably
Alternatively, it is possible to startwith an absolutely ActiveDirectory which all objects arecreated However, thisprocedure is recommended for smallerenvironments
As an official and long-time “Quest-Software” partner we have agreat amount of expertise in the execution of Active Directorymigrations using the “Quest Migration Manager for ActiveDirectory”.
You can find information about the Quest Migration Manager forActive Directory here.
Please contact us if you are facing an Active Directorymigration. We would like to consult you and successfully completethe project together with you. Our specialists are used to passingon their knowledge to our mandates and you profit from our Knowhowduring the complete project.
Please use our Contact-section if you would like to receive anon-committal consultation about the subject of Active Directorymigrations.
. Employees continue working throughout the whole process andthe maximum interruption is a reboot of their PCs.
The access to any and all resources is also constantly possibleduring the Active Directory migration. The Active Directoryattribute sIDHistory should be known by anyone who has dealt withthe subject of migration. The SIDHistory is responsible for theaccess of the migrated accounts to not yet migrated resources.
An Active Directory migration is usually done using migrationtools, so that as much information from the existing ActiveDirectory domain as possible can be transferred to the new domain.Sometimes it is decided to create a whole new Active Directorywhere all of the objects are new. This approach is usually onlyusable in small surroundings.